Saturday, July 26, 2008

Texas Impressions


Welcome to Texas Impressions! This is my site mostly dedicated to photography, mostly dedicated to Texas Photography. I have an ongoing project which is to photograph all of the Spanish Missions sites in Texas. Someday I hope to write a book about them. For now I will just post some pictures here.

The picture above is the church at Presido La Bahia, the Mother of all Texas Missions. It was in this church that 300 plus men were held captive by Santa Anna's orders shortly after the fall of the Alamo. Can you imagine what it must have felt like? 300 men in this small church.

After they were held there for a week they were marched out onto a couple of roads and executed at point blank range. A few doctors and other men deemed helpful by the Mexican army were kept as prisoners.

This is the church at Mission Espiritu Santo a couple of miles upstream of La Bahia on The San Antonio River. It's very beautiful. I will post more pictures of this mission later.
This was my favorite mission trip. This is Presidio San Saba in Menard, TX. This mission site is now on a Golf Course. The 9th hole is right behind the castle looking thing. This mission was established to take in the Apaches and Comanches in the Northwestern part of the Spanish Territory. The Spanish Government wanted to establish points on the Camino Real to protect Spanish interests in the new world. Unfortunatly, the indians in this area used each other to provoke a raid and massacred a Spanish Priest. The story is actually very interesting and, again, I'll post more later.

San Jose also one of my favorite missions. It's one of the most complete mission sites, but it has undergone a lot of restoration (of course.. you can't have a bldg built in the 1770's and have it still in tact). It's one that we used to go to for school trips a lot and I have always had a fondness for it in my heart.

By the way, in the original picture there were people all over and I zapped 'em out with the Photoshop. Yay me.

Well, that's all for now. Thanks for stopping by.

Denise

No comments: